Is it tme for tea or coffee? This cake perfectly complements a morning or afternoon tea with your friends. It’s a fluffy and light sponge which is super easy to make and takes no time at all. I regularly make this when I have a couple of oranges spare, though I have also made mandarin and lemon versions too. If making a lemon version I’d recommend adding 1/4 cup more sugar to sweeten it up though.
- 125g unsalted butter @ room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (though I won’t judge you if you use bottled orange juice 😉)
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and prepare a 20cm/8in cake tin.
In a mixer, beat together the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until mixed. Add in the sifted self-raising flour and pour in the orange juice. I usually juice one large orange to get the 1/2 cup required. I also like to add some of the orange pulp to boost the flavour. Mix until combined.
Bake for 30 minutes or when a skewer comes out clean. Let it cool before upending.
When the cake has completely cooled you can cover with icing, though a marmalade glaze would also be lovely.
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar mix
- 2 tblsp freshly squeezed orange juice.
- 1 tblsp unsalted butter @ room temperature