Decadent chocolate mud cake

Enjoy
Enjoy

This chocolate mud cake recipe is legendary! I use it for most of my birthday cake creations as it’s very moist and dense and it is also really easy to carve or cut when making children’s birthday cakes. As it’s Easter, Miss Three has decided that this cake is a must. I’ve covered it in a chocolate ganache, in case you don’t get enough of a chocolate hit from eating the cake alone!

Cake

• 250g unsalted butter
  • 200g good quality dark chocolate
  • 1 tblsp instant coffee dissolved in 375ml (1 1/2 cups) hot water
  • 460g (2 cups) caster sugar – yes that’s correct…say goodbye to your diet!
  • 185g (1 1/4 cups) self raising flour
  • 75 g (1/2 cup) plain flour
  • 30g (1/4 cut) good quality cocoa powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tspn vanilla extract

Ganache

• 200g good quality dark chocolate
  • 150ml pouring/thickened cream

Preheat the oven to 150* C. Grease and line a 20cm square or 23cm round cake tin. Avoid springform tins as the mixture is really runny and is prone to leak…I learnt that the hard way!

Melt the butter in a saucepan on low heat and add in the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the coffee water mixture and the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.

Melt chocolate and butter
Melt chocolate and butter

Sift the flours and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. Slowly pour in the chocolate mixture while the mixer is on a low setting. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth.

Mix until smooth
Mix until smooth

Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the cake is cooked through. This is a very moist cake so let it cool in the tin before attempting to remove it. I usually place a lining of baking paper on top of the cake to reduce cracking and to make it as level as possible (important if you want to decorate it).

Baking paper on top to stop cracking
Baking paper on top to stop cracking

To decorate with the ganache, melt the chocolate and cream in a saucepan on low heat. When the ganache has cooled, spread on the cake and lick the spoon!

Enjoy! I hope you all have a happy and safe Easter.

????????????????????

12 Comments Add yours

1. Don Charisma says:

Reblogged this on Don Charisma and commented:
    Reblogged inspired by my “FOOD Reblog Day”

An Eastery chocolate cake … yumdiddlyumpcious !

(Please do likes and comments on the original author’s blog)

1. aseparovic says:

Thank you for the lovely comment and reblog! You’ve made my day 😊

1. Don Charisma says:

You’re very most welcome … and thanks for sharing your recipe, I’d love to try cooking it one day myself !

2. Kentucky Angel says:

Yum. I love chocolate. Saw this on Don’s blog and wanted to let you know how delicious it looks.

1. aseparovic says:

Thank you for the lovely comment! I’m a serious chocoholic too.

Liked by 1 person

3. jdawgswords says:

Reblogged this on Jdawgswords's Blog and commented:
    this looks awesomely good!!!

1. aseparovic says:

Thanks for the comment and the re Log! Have an awesome day 😃

Liked by 1 person

4. Hi dear, I’ve been reading your blog recently and liking it. I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster award 🙂 You can check out my post here: https://coffeecupcloset.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/liebster-award/

1. aseparovic says:

Wow thank you so much! Just had a quick look at the link. I’ll respond as soon as I can. Have a wonderful day 😊

Liked by 1 person